Changes to our Registration Rules

Our Registration Rules (the Rules) have been updated. The Rules set out how we go about registering people working in social services.

413352_SSSC_Icon_Large_RegistrationThere are changes that may affect you.

• We are changing how we communicate with you. The biggest change you will notice is that from 1 April, we will stop sending your fee invoices by post and we’ll send them by email instead.
  • There is a change to the fee for assessing non-UK qualifications for social service workers with European Economic Area (EEA) recognition rights. The fee has changed from £125 to £320.  If the qualification is assessed as not being equivalent to our criteria, some applicants can then opt to take an aptitude test for which we are introducing a charge of £640 for function-based register parts and £790 for social work tests.

You can find out more about non-UK qualification assessment on our website www.sssc.uk.com

Download the updated version of the Rules on our website here.

37 Responses to “Changes to our Registration Rules”

1. Helen Heatlie

Mar 09. 2016

I am unable to open the rules download to check this out. Please could you advise what systems are in place for people who do not have access to a computer and therefore will not be able to recieve e mails or open a SSSC online account? I am about to retire and my current work e mail will no longer be accessible.
    Many thanks.

• evelyn lawson

Mar 10. 2016

any staff I work with in your situation I would be advising them to access a computer at a local library. If your retiring you won’t need to be registered. If your taking up other employment you should be able to access a computer for the purpose of completing SSSC Reg and email at work.

2. Karen Stewart

Mar 09. 2016

I would like to pay my subscription but I do not have access to online banking or a cheque book. Please can I have a phone number to call to sort this out please. Many thanks
    Karen Stewart

3. Isobel.pearce

Mar 09. 2016

I cannot remember my account so how will I be able to pay next time my fees are due.

4. Andy Gallagher

Mar 09. 2016

Why is the increase so large as it bears no relation to salary increases in Social Work or indeed to inflation?

5. Fiona Mcaulay

Mar 09. 2016

I’m currently registered as a support worker but I previously worked as a 2nd level registered nurse (Enrolled nurse) does my previous nursing qualification and experience convert to any of the sssc criteria? I’m working as a care assistant.

• Sandra Wilson

Mar 14. 2016

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for getting in touch. If you were previously registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council your qualification will meet the practice qualification requirements for a support worker.

I hope this helps. If you need more information please contact our Enquiries Team by phoning 0345 60 30 891 or email registration@sssc.uk.com

Kind regards,
      Sandra

Kind regards

6. m van loenen

Mar 09. 2016

Five yrs ago I was finishing my SVQ which was organised and excersised through and at my work. Since then, in order to keep registered according to SSSC rules/ regulations/ requirements, I have had to look for and find myself almost all of my own training, find the time to do this training in my own time, and assess and record this training also in my own time (i.e. not work time). Personally I would not use the word ‘training’ for such exercises….

• Sandra Wilson

Mar 14. 2016

Hi M Van Loenen,

Everyone registered with the SSSC has to meet post registration training and learning (PRTL) requirements. Undertaking PRTL, writing about it and submitting it to us makes sure you continue to be suitable for registration. PRTL can be met through a variety of ways including:

• study
      • training
      • courses
      • seminars
      • reading
      • teaching
      • other activities which could reasonably be expected to advance a registrant’s professional development, or contribute to the development of the profession as a whole.

The type of activity stated as acceptable is deliberately general because it is recognised that there is a variety of ways for registrants to continue to learn and develop. For that reason the training and learning carried out to meet this requirement does not have to be formally certified.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance or advice, please contact our Enquiries Team by telephoning 0345 60 30 891 or email registration@sssc.uk.com

7. Sean

Mar 09. 2016

Hi, can I clarify. I am currently registered as a childrens service practioner. I have a Social care HNC certificate. I also have SVQ3. Do I now need to complete this further qualification?

8. lynne fraser

Mar 10. 2016

Can you please advise if you will be texting as well as e-mailing fee invoices?

9. Gary Edgar

Mar 10. 2016

I feel that the increase is extreme and requires some explanation. In a sector that is currently struggling to recruit and in a country that is supposedly trying to encourage immagration, many of the staff registered or requiring to be registered are already on a low pay and in jobs with no agreed hours. It is also the case that many of these workers will register with an agency and will not be able to unless registered with SSSC.

10. Mark

Mar 10. 2016

Hi
    I registered in June last year, so how often do I pay a fee?
    Thanks

• Sandra Wilson

Mar 14. 2016

Dear Mark

Once you are registered, you pay an annual fee to stay on the Register. We will contact you before your fee is due to remind you, so keep your email address up to date on your MySSSC account. You will then be able to use MySSSC to pay your annual fee.

Your registration period lasts for a fixed period from your date of registration. Before your registration period expires, we will invite to renew your registration. If you don’t pay your renewal fee and complete and return your renewal form your registration will be lapsed. You would then have to re-apply for registration.

Social work students don’t need to renew their registration and don’t pay a renewal fee, but they do have to pay an annual fee for the duration of their registration.

If you have any queries about registration fees please contact us on 0345 60 30 891.

Kind regards
      Sandra

11. Karin Heber

Mar 11. 2016

I would like to hear why the increase is so massive? Surely this needs to come with some explanation. Should SSSC not promote equal opportunities? Is the work force too big and we need to disencourage others to join by making this not affordable? It just doesn’t sound fair to me.

12. Bonnie Russell

Mar 11. 2016

I think the increase is absolutely ridiculous !! People in the care sector get paid very little as it is for what they do ! I think someone all ready pointed out that we are supposed to be encouraging immigration ! I can see there is no response to any of the posts on why the increase is so huge ?!

13. Sandra Wilson

Mar 14. 2016

Thank you for your comments on the rule changes to the EEA fees.

There is a change to the fee for assessing non-UK qualifications for social service workers with European Economic Area (EEA) recognition rights. It is important that people working in social services in Scotland hold qualifications that meet the same set of standards.

While we regret having to increase the assessment fee and introduce costs for the aptitude tests, this cost still doesn’t cover the full cost of carrying out this work so it still being subsidised. We consulted on the fee increase and introducing fees for the aptitude test back in 2013/14. We then delayed the changes to the rules accommodating the date for compulsory registration coming into force in September 2015 for support workers in care home services for adults.

Should a worker with EEA recognition rights choose to take this route, the increased assessment fee and the new costs for the aptitude tests are necessary to contribute to the costs of carrying out both initial assessment and the tests.

Workers also have the option to do a qualification from the list we accept for registration instead of going down the assessment and aptitude testing route. You can find out more about non-UK qualification assessment on our website http://www.sssc.uk.com

14. Karen Adamson

Mar 14. 2016

If you were on sick leave or maternity leave when emailed with the fee invoice, how would you know to pay your fees?

15. Lorna renton

Mar 15. 2016

My sssc is up for renewal but I’m a domestic now do I still have to keep my sssc

• Sandra Wilson

Mar 15. 2016

Hi Lorna,

Thanks for getting in touch. As you have changed your job your registration may also have to change depending on your role. Can you please phone our Registration Team on 0345 60 30 891?

Many thanks
      Sandra

16. gary

Mar 16. 2016

Hi ive been a social care worker for 16 years ive done my SVQ3 Promoting independence in 2005 and ive got an Hnc social science in 2000 will i need to do other qualifications to register

Regards

17. Katie Narwal

Mar 21. 2016

As a supply worker it is very difficult to find training courses in relation to your work yourself etc. Often when you do find something you don’t always get funding. I will even find the time difficult to further study whilst on maternity leave again with a second baby under three. A suggestion for extension of registration time or something would be beneficial for those on maternity leave .

• Joanne Grant

Mar 29. 2016

Dear Katie

Thank you for your comment. We contact registrants two months before they are due to renew their registration. At this point, you can complete a renewal application where you can tell us that you have not met a condition.

We will then send a form to you and your employer to complete to tell us why the condition has not been met and to give us a timescale for expected completion.

We are unable to consider any requests for an extension before a condition has expired but we will assess each situation individually once the relevant information has been supplied. We will then tell you if we have granted an extension on the condition on your registration.

Meanwhile, we encourage all registrants to continue to make every effort to achieve the relevant qualifications.

Kind Regards
      Joanne

18. Joan Head

Mar 23. 2016

I have changed my job from care assistant to scheme assistant in amenity housing. Which involves cleaning duties & testing fire alarm system. I would like to know if I still have to hold my registration

• Sandra Wilson

Mar 24. 2016

Hi Joan,

Thanks for your comment. You should talk to your employer regarding your role and SSSC registration, they should be able to help you.

Kind regards
      Sandra

19. Clare McGowan

Mar 24. 2016

I saw in an earlier comment that you can use teaching for your PRTL. Is this true? I work in a Montessori Nursery. Can I use it?

• Jane Lidgate

Mar 31. 2016

Hi Clare

Thank you for your query.

Post Registration Training and Learning (PRTL) can be met through:

• study
      • training
      • courses
      • seminars
      • reading
      • teaching

The type of activities are deliberately general because we recognise that there is a variety of ways for registrants to continue to learn and develop. For that reason the training and learning carried out to meet this requirement does not have to be formally certified.

You can include any type of training and learning provided you can show how it has contributed to your professional development. You must complete all parts of the form; we need more information than only the time and duration of activities.

The form can be downloaded from the following link:

Or you can add your PRTL through your MySSSC account:

Kind regards
      Jane

20. Margaret ratcliffe

Apr 04. 2016

Hi am a registered practitioner in a dementia nursing home. I recently obtain my PDA in health and social care supervisions do I need to obtain any qualifications to maintain my certificate? Regards M Ratcliffe

21. Fay Paris

Apr 04. 2016

as you see by the email address I use my husbands email and I do not want my renewal notice for fees sent by email as I dont check them often.I would like my registration renewal notice sent by regular mail thank you

22. margaret

Apr 10. 2016

The Worldpay says that there is a problem with the secure payment page, can you advise?

• Vanessa Glenday

Apr 15. 2016

Hi Margaret

Thank you for getting in touch. Are you looking to pay your registration fee? Please phone 0345 60 30 891 or email registration@sssc.uk.com if you are having issues accessing the payment page.

Kind regards