SSSC registration fees consultation

Our consultation on the proposal to increase the fees we charge social service workers to register with us is now open.

regfees300This consultation is relevant to all registrants, social service employers, learning providers, people who use services and carers, trade unions and other professional bodies.

SSSC Chief Executive, Anna Fowlie said:

‘I know that increasing fees is never going to be a popular option, but I would ask you to bear in mind that our fees have always been considerably less than those of other registered groups and have been the same since we first started registering people in 2003. Across Scotland we have a shared commitment amongst the SSSC, the Scottish Government, people working in social services and the public to ensure that the workforce has the right skills, qualifications, values and standards to deliver a high quality service to our most vulnerable citizens. We can only achieve that by making a modest increase to our fees.

‘This is a short consultation with three questions I would like you to comment on. There is information that explains the changes we are proposing and why.

‘I look forward to hearing your views.’

The consultation closes on 2 November 2016.

180 Responses to “SSSC registration fees consultation”

1. Ashley McIntosh

Aug 11. 2016

I personally do not mind the fee increasing as long as it is not a huge increase. I feel having to pay these fees encourages continuous learning and commitment to your role.

• Sandra Wilson

Aug 15. 2016

Thank you for your comment, Ashley. I will add it to our consultation responses.

• Sharon

Sep 08. 2016

I agree it’s important that we continue to learn however, I only work part time, 28 hours per month, at weekends as I have no childcare during the week. Until my children are older, cannot afford to pay £80 same as full time employees.

• Peter

Sep 14. 2016

Fees increases are out of order and uncalled for. In a climate of 1% pay rises we can do without this. Why does paying more for registration encourage continuous learning and commitment. Do you need to pay more to do these? Does that mean you can’t be committed and continue learning if it was free? Sorry but I think your comment is nonsensical.

• Vikki Davenport

Sep 17. 2016

It is the Governments responsibility to ensure quality services are delivered by professional, qualified people. Our job descriptions detail which qualities are essential/ desirable. Most members of SSSC are not only qualified and experienced but also have a thirst for knowledge to keep abreast of changes. We seize every opportunity available to keep on top of training needs although we can only take opportunities given to us by our Local Authorities.
      Whilst your table details registration fees of other professional bodies I would argue their salaries and pay scales far exceed those like myself (Early Years Practitioner).
      I object to any raise in the annual fee SSSC propose as this is a service the Government needs to financially support. As a taxpayer I am contributing towards the Public Service budget. Whilst the rise in minimum wage is one to be celebrated. Public service workers have received little to no wage rise in the past several years minimising the gap between minimum wage and our own pay scale.
      The question to be asked here is what does the SSSC deliver to have the audacity to suggest a 165percent increase in our annual fee?

2. Name (required)

Aug 12. 2016

I just feel myself being a care worker that because I have to be registered that I should not have to pay a fee but the company I work for

3. Iain Nairn

Aug 16. 2016

As a qualified Social Worker If the increase is nominal and proportionate I have no issue paying it. However, as a public sector worker the increase I have had in my salary has been negligible over the last few years. This should be taken into account when any increases are considered.

4. Carolyn Walker

Sep 07. 2016

An increase in fees would be difficult for some local Government staff to afford .

5. Elaine Lothian

Sep 07. 2016

Many people struggle to pay their fees, could an option to pay them be introduced. Some of our staff are single parents or loan workers and live hand to mouth every month.

6. Julie graham

Sep 07. 2016

I agree with one of the comments above!
    I think the company we work for should pay this fee afterall they charge outstanding fees to their clients so why shouldnt they pay this for us as investment to better care recived!

7. Claire

Sep 07. 2016

I think it should be left at what it is after all it’s a struggle for people to pay stuff as it is instead of making life worse for people

8. Thomas Graham

Sep 07. 2016

The increase in fees to be paid is disgraceful at a time when wages have not risen in line with inflation for a number of years. Unlike other professions overtime is not always an option and increasing workloads have to be completed in our own time. Sssc spends too much time patting themselves on the back and not enough time promoting social work

9. margaret taylor

Sep 07. 2016

i feel as long as it is not a large increase then i dont mind paying it as people need to remember its a small payment once a year for care assistance like myself….but as there is no great increase over the years with salary of care workers this needs to be taken into consideration with the increase

10. Jean griswold

Sep 07. 2016

Care workers have a big responsibility and get paid very
    Little and can’t afford increases

11. Gordon McIntosh

Sep 07. 2016

I know from my wife’s NMC registration that costs go up, and I knew that mine would rise. But as a manager of a parent run and parent funded setting (therefore salaries pretty poor) there is quite a hike in the proposed amount for me. But, I’ll go with it.

12. jackie kerr

Sep 07. 2016

I agree with Iain, we have had no increase in salary in the public sector. Not sure how this increase in fees can be justified as there will be no benefit to staff.

13. Name (required)

Sep 07. 2016

I understand the need to be SSSC registered but feel it would a benefical if funding was available to help staff training to allow registrations

14. Pamela Wilson

Sep 07. 2016

Personally I think that at the moment it should stay the same or a very small increase .As for the past few years we have had very little in pay rises .

15. liz angus

Sep 07. 2016

I don’t mind the increase as long as it’s not by much and it’s not something that happens every year

16. Ronnie. McLintock

Sep 07. 2016

I am all for an increase to support the SSSC, although this increase may need to consider low income to workers and family outgoings.

17. lailaine milne

Sep 07. 2016

I personally still think the increase is reasonable

18. Gemma

Sep 07. 2016

As a care assistant my fee would raise from £10 to £15 and would be £12 total after tax relief I think this is a reasonable price to be a registered social service worker and that the price is fair

19. Helen Chau

Sep 07. 2016

I would rather not pay a higher fee. However it is part of my job and I understand that I have a fee to pay to register. My concern is that the fee amount will continue to rise each year.

20. Morag Martin

Sep 07. 2016

Many registrations reflect qualification & professional standing. As a care worker we don’t have a particularly high standing or salary. Is it fair to expect us to pay the same as someone with a qualification to their credit?

21. Alastair Reid

Sep 07. 2016

For those of us who are currently paying to be registered I cannot help but ask what we get back from this process.

As a residential care worker we currently and historically have recieved much lower pay than our colleagues in social work, although we are held to the same professional standards.

My understanding is that the proposed increase would be to around the £80 a year mark, something I cannot understand any justification for.

From my perspective the employer of those on the register should be liable for these fees and regardless of this without any tangible benefits from the current fees I could not support an increase

• janet

Sep 09. 2016

Totally agree with this. Part-time carers on zero hour contracts may find this difficult to pay annually, suggest direct debit payments made available to assist budgeting bearing in mind lots of home carers only work part-time and a suggested fee of £80 per annum equates to an 8 hour shift at basis rates. Quite sure compared to nurses salaries this increase is very unfair for low paid carers out with the public sector. It may even result in carers leaving the industry, as a lot of retired nurses continue to work on zero contracts and are no longer registered due to the costs. Important to look at the overall age of carers in all sectors before making any rash increases, until all carers registered under current legislation.. I specifically have not registered until it becomes a legal requirement. Small private firms At the moment have their own training which meets current regulations and I’m sure if this increase is not thought through it may be the straw that broke the camels back!

22. Name (required)

Sep 07. 2016

Whilst I can understand that there has not been an increase in fees since 2003 and that fees need to be reviewed. i feel that the increase that has been suggested for Managers of day care services is disproportionate to the increases suggested for the other SSSC regulated workforce. Having reviewed your table of other regulators charges i noticed that that the cost of a teachers registration is only £50 per year after their initial registration which is £30 less than is being suggested for managers, yet their starting earnings are more often than not higher than they are for the average manger of a nursery or out of school care service. Also when looking at the fees which you have shown to be higher for many of the other sectors i think you need to take into consideration that their average salaries are also substantially higher than that of a nursery /out of school care manager.

23. Susan Thomson

Sep 07. 2016

Personally I feel the cost of registration will go up regardless of the outcome of this consultation and, if I want to continue to work, I need my registration – catch 22!
    I might understand a small increase however if we are clearly and precisely informed as to why the increase is necessary.

24. alan campbell

Teacher only pay £50 a year so why are we going to be paying this amount

25. Amy Lelej

Sep 07. 2016

I feel that overall the annual fee is not large and when thinking of it broken down to the equivelent monthly amount it seems almost unnoticeable. I do however think great care should be taken in proportioning the increase correctly as care workers are not the best paid and pay increases are sometimes hard to come by. A increase is not an issue as long as it is sensitive to those who already work 45-60 hour weeks just to scrape by.

26. Sean-Paul

Sep 07. 2016

An increase once after 13 years is not unreasonable but the differentiation in the rise for a manager/social worker compared to other parts of the register seem unfair and almost a punishment for furthering your career why is the rise not the same for all parts of the register?

27. Steven Hoggitt

Sep 07. 2016

I do not agree with the fee increase in the slightest. I can understand the reasoning behind having the SSSC and think it it a great idea. However, I do not feel like I should be paying extra fee for being a care worker.

28. Name (required)

Sep 07. 2016

As an employee in the care sector, who has had nightshift allowance decreased and weekend enhancement removed I object to the increase. I feel that I shouldn’t have to pay the fee in the first place.

29. Alison Johnson

Sep 07. 2016

To continue to provide Quality requires an increase in fees. However, not everyone earns a large salary, therefore consideration should be given to the lower earners

30. Jacalyn sinnott

Sep 07. 2016

The problem with this is there is such a varied salary scale in the care sector with many workers on the living or minimum wage and unlike staff registered with other organisations like west Lothian council there are no advantages. Staff for west Lothian council get discounts at many places. I feel it is excessive and unfair as if we don’t stay registered we lose our jobs

• Well said; I totally agree

Sep 13. 2016

As a carer on low pay, with very little increament or non at all find the fee too high!

31. sue

Sep 07. 2016

Im am registerd and i feel we shouldnt have to pay for the fees the employer should as most of us work for buttons to start with .an i dont agree with u have to get qualifications before a certain date or u cant b part of the sssc i dont find that fair considering we are the ones paying for this

• Janet

Sep 09. 2016

Agree. Just another way of hitting low paid workers. Bearing in mind the increase in National insurance contributions this year, which considerably affected low paid carers in their monthly pay. Again this should be factored into any calculation based on average weekly earnings and sufficient considered given to impact on low paid workers earnings in the amount to be charged in future. Proper statistical analysis required before compulsory registration becomes law.

32. Joseph bell

Sep 07. 2016

In response to the increase ,there are many carers who are on the minimal wage and can not afford to pay more .I have paid since first subscription but would rather not pay any more, but in respect of non increase up till now it is acceptable.

33. Mouyra Rae

Sep 07. 2016

Increases should should be justified and take account of the current economic climate.

34. Jennifer Paterson

Sep 07. 2016

I think if fees are to increase then early years workers salary should be considered! As already stated in previous comment wages are poor in this sector and no increase for years. I would also like to see the SSSC looking more closely at individuals level of training and CPD.

35. Derek Paul

Sep 07. 2016

An increase was on the cards as costs go up, I am not against an increase, however I feel it should be a small increase of £10 or £20 as working for a local authority, pay increases are few and small and people struggle to make ends meet. So yes make one but be sensible about it.
    I’m sure you will

36. Nadejda Millington

Sep 07. 2016

The fees increase looks quite dramatic to me provided that my pay only encreasing %1 a year and deductions are growing, enhancements are being reduced.

• Janet

Sep 09. 2016

Agree. This just another indirect tax! Hitting the workers on low pay – sure it will discourage young folk in considering the “care sector” – until hourly rate reflects the true worth if a carer this should be funded directly by the Givernment. Sure all aware dog walkers earn more than young care workers! So sad to read further increase suggested.

37. Sarah McCulloch

Sep 07. 2016

As an independent practice teacher and a working mother of three on a low income, any additional costs are significant. I therefore would be adversely affected by any significant increase and therefore would not be in favour of this proposal to increase fees.

38. Debra Penman

Sep 07. 2016

I feel what we pay is good it encourages people to take their role serious. Don’t mind an increase as long as its not huge amount .

39. April

Sep 07. 2016

I think raising the fees is dangerous. I feel people in the care sector are not valued enough with things including pay and needing to pay to be a carer I feel is pretty poor. There is not enough people in the world who go into the care side of work and I personally feel this could put more people off, knowing your going into a profession that requires you to pay to remain within it.

• Janet

Sep 09. 2016

Totally agree. Agree ‘professional’ status trying to be established through ‘Registration’. However looking over past 50 years, when “home helps” did most of the ‘caring’ it looks like another raw deal for zero contract low paid carers. The cost should be absorbed by the Government as a gesture of goodwill until registration become law for all workers in care sector.

40. Janet Simpson

Sep 07. 2016

I strongly disagree with an increase, due to the fact that most carers are on the minimum wage and to increase the fee would be a struggle.

41. David Speedie

Sep 07. 2016

The notion of an approximately 160% increase in my fee is not something that I even want to consider. What possible good reason could there be for this?

The £30 I pay at the moment is more than adequate.

42. Barbara Foad

Sep 07. 2016

Compared to what I earn the proposed increase if far too much in one hit. It should be phased in.

43. eric henderson

Sep 07. 2016

i find it difficult to find a post that matches my qualifications as much as i am prepared to downgrade companies tend to feel that i am over qualified…this leaves me unemployed and paying for a registration i am not technically using….is there possibility to freeze or compensate or any other idea…eg reduction until employed. It is also difficult to make a decision as to whether the increase in fees are fair due to a lack of costs/administration at your end.

• Janet

Sep 09. 2016

agree with you. I understand a lot of private companies do not have to have all employees registered at the moment, therefore there will be a considerable number of workers like my self who are considering whether to stay in the care sector if forced to pay extortionate registration and training costs to continue to work. Until it becomes law the income from subscriptions is unknown and may drop over the next couple of years if zero contract care workers leave and some firm’s may have to reduce their workforce as unsustainable.

44. Chris Cobain

Sep 07. 2016

As the care sector is becoming increasingly more staffed by ‘bank’ or ‘zero hours’ contracted employees would it not make sense to have a structured scale of registration fees which reflected the amount of work that any one employee undertook. ie – A full time employee or one on more than a set number of hours per month, would pay more than a casual, part-time or low hours employee.

45. Morarg McGuiness

Sep 07. 2016

As a care workers I agree with the other persons comments don’t think we should be paying for doing our job

46. Lynn Cook

Sep 07. 2016

I think the company that you work for should pay the fee not the employee.

47. Margaret Stenson

Sep 07. 2016

My thoughts are with Iain Nairn public sector has seen worsen conditions and demands without recognition of the efforts made to sustain a public sector. Our pensions are being depleted and our role under pressure to uphold standards. I would pay more if I thought the organisation was to protect workers instead of wearing blinkers to the deprivation and suffering instituted by the current political influences.

48. William hill

Sep 07. 2016

I feel as budgets across the care sector are being cut and a pay freeze implemented on many registered staff within this field and..with the prospect of further cuts now is not the correct time to increase fee’s..I agree with a nominal increase if indeed it is needed certainly, but not simply to bring yourselves in line with England and NI..as it feels like another tax on already stretched salaries.

49. Pauline Ferguson

Sep 07. 2016

Although the comments made are fair I feel that Pupil Support Assistants are paying fees for a piece of paper to work with Under 5’s and we have no choice in this if our school has a Nursery attached. Therefore increases will not be positively received. I would like to see what the SSVC registration actually means or provides to colleagues working outwith Social Services.

50. Mandy

Sep 07. 2016

If this increases then some may not be able to afford it. Not social care assistants are paid well. Some are paid slightly more than the minimum wage. So they may not be able to afford it. Just keep in kkmd. Some companies especially private pay poorly.

51. Charlotte Hay

Sep 07. 2016

A substantial number of care workers are among the poorest paid in the country so I feel any increase would be unfair to them as they don’t get pay rises.

52. Jane Robson

Sep 07. 2016

I think to increase the fee is unfair. Most support workers, like myself, earn minimum wage so I don’t think an increase by any amount is fair, especially as I do not see what benefit being registered to the SSSC has for me personally.

53. suzanne sinclair

Sep 07. 2016

I do not mind a proportionate increase in fees but the proposed 166% increase from £30 to £80 in my opinion is neither proportionate or reasonable given that workers wages are increasing by 1 or 2% annually at best, and comes on the back of a 3 year freeze on any salary increase.
    It would also be beneficial if such a huge increase in fees goes ahead to be able to pay monthly. I also think the proposals around claiming tax relief would prove to be difficult, time consuming and not something that the majority of Social Workers will take the time to pursue.

54. Susan Hay

Sep 07. 2016

I also don’t mind the increase however I think you need to remember a lot of care workers still only earn minimum wage. It might be an idea to scale the cost depending on your role, salary and grade.

55. Pamela Gallagher

Sep 07. 2016

What do the workers gain from being registered? With no wage increase for years I feel it would need to justify the increase and what the money will be used for.
    Speeding up the process of registration for some may help particularly if more information or interviews are required and this can be dealt with quickly, Same with suspensions and investigations some I have heard of have gone on for months. If these were dealt with quicker This may help keep workers within the field as any delay in dealing with issues can leave people vulnerable with no source of income until it is resolved some times.

Whilst the benefit in being registered and accountability as well as reassurance that the worker within the sector are skilled and qualified I have seen some really good workers leave due to lack of funding available for the necessary qualification and time of work to complete this can also pose problems due to cost to employer if they do support the worker with the time off.

56. Annie

Sep 07. 2016

As a residential project worker our current fee is £30 which is manageable on our salary however the proposed increase for us would be £80 which is in line with social workers etc. We do not get a salary anywhere near social workers therefore its very unfair to increase our cost by £50 (62.5%).

57. Gillian McBride

Sep 07. 2016

I am slightly concerned as to what the current fee is used for as it does not seem to be in support offered to qualified social workers if they experience problems. The organisation appears quite punitive in some of its work rather than supportive. This is concerning given the current government agenda, integration politics and attitudes of some senior managers. I would also be keen to know who supervises the SSSC and to which government department they are responsible especially when they investigate complaints from the public. They do not seem to have timescales for much of the work they do.

58. P L White

Sep 07. 2016

I think that the increase in fees is inevitable, however, in the present economic climate it would need to be proportionate to the pay rises that the Social Care sector have recently received .

59. Sandra bell

Sep 07. 2016

As I child development officer I feel we pay enough taxies and my local authorities should pay these fees

60. Mary Benson

Sep 07. 2016

I have 3 registrations. This could mean £240 per year. Will there just be one registration fee per member or is it £80 for each?

61. Liam McKenna

Sep 07. 2016

A £50 increase may seem reasonable given the lenght of time social workers fees have stayed at £30 however social workers and others on register are in the main public sector workers who haven’t benefited from significant salary increases in many years. £80 annually seems a huge increase which doesn’t seem justifiable in the current climate.

62. Tyffany

Sep 07. 2016

I think personally after paying for my pvg the SSSC have a cheek alone to be charging us to work. Understand what it is for but paying £20 a year to work in a job I love and have worked in for over 12 years is beginning to add up. Fair enough it’s keeping our young ones ect safe but over the years this £20 adds up. I agree with Iain Nairn, please keep in mind us minimum wage workers when the increase occurs.

63. H. McEwan

Sep 07. 2016

Using other regulatory bodies’ subscriptions as a guide to setting fees seems a lazy way to justify increases. The care industry is not well paid, and annual fees should reflect this.

64. angela

Sep 07. 2016

Having looked at the proposed fees for 2017/18 there is a considerable increase for managers compared to practitioners. Not all managers receive a substantial wage depending on the sector worked in. I am not against an increase however do feel that a £50 increase for managers is excessive.

65. Margaret scott

Sep 07. 2016

I can’t remember the last time I had a pay rise, along with most people in the care sector, so I think it’s unfair to put up fees at this moment in time.

66. Andy

Sep 07. 2016

I don’t mind the fees, but being on minimum wage, I would not like to see the fee rise too much. This could mean that I would not be able to work with children who don’t have a male role model in their life and this could have a detrimental effect on those children.

67. Fiona Stark

Sep 07. 2016

I couldn’t afford to pay more for my registration I don’t mind the £20 a year but on a part time wages it would be out of my budget and no registration means no job so it would cost me my job xx

68. Name (required)

Sep 07. 2016

When our hourly rate is still only £7.50 an increase is out of the question.

69. Louise Thomson

Sep 07. 2016

I think the registration fee and increase should be seen in relation to the salary scales for the different grades eg. CDO in childcare sector earning between £16000 and £21000pa.
    The childcare management increase seems particularly large again in comparison to the salary scales of other sectors.

70. karen

Sep 07. 2016

salary increase for front line public sector workers has not been in line with inflation and for many workers in the private sector their salary’s can often be the minimum hourly rate I don’t think there should be an increase and registration should not be compared to other professional bodies because a care worker and a drs earnings are not on the same level

71. LIZ

Sep 07. 2016

Why not a small increase to help safeguard your future and that of your employer can’t be a bad thing really for peace of mind

72. Kirsti forster

Sep 07. 2016

The proposed increase is ridiculous and disproportionate. Over 100% increase, with only 1.5% pay increase. Surely this cannot be acceptable

73. Lynne

Sep 07. 2016

I agree with another colleague’s comment, again as a public sector employee my salary increase is negligible and no, I don’t think there should be an increase. In fact, we shouldn’t have to pay for the privilege of practising our own profession in the first place.

74. Thomas craig

Sep 07. 2016

I think that an increase in this current climate is in just an in fair last year was the first time our company required us to register with SSSC and paying to do our job seems a bit unfair and now your planning to increase this now feels like bullying in to paying to keep our jobs

75. Wendy

Sep 07. 2016

I think as a low paid worker, who hasn’t even had a cost of living rise, in fact any rise in pay this is unfair.

76. Catherine Machin

Sep 07. 2016

I have not had an increase in my wages for years I am at the top of my scale so will never get an increase, everything I use has gone up in cost except my wages I kept up my knowledge before SSSC was founded and I now pay money to them so why should they increase it? Do I not pay enough from my wages? if you have to increase make it a small increase please

77. Hussein

Sep 07. 2016

Myself as being a social worker, I think the company i work for should pay for it or even half of it.

78. Mary

Sep 07. 2016

As a social care worker I feel the increase should be paid by the employers if at all be necessary since its them that require information about employee’s registration. The fee we pay as of now is enough just to keep our registration on. After all its upon the employees to see that they achieve the necessary skills that are required for them to stay on the register and not the SSSC.

79. Tricia

Sep 07. 2016

As a support worker in a care home I say the employer could pay the increase as we are working for minimum wage and having to pay for our uniform

80. Andy

Sep 07. 2016

I personally think Care workers are severely under paid. This proposed rise is an extra £10 onto a already £15 charge. It’s a very unfair hike well over inflation rate. Just another way of extorting money from low paid workers. Very much a unrecognised profession.

81. Andrew frase

Sep 07. 2016

Only just recived my minimal pay rise , I think that
    My company should pay at least some part of the fee ,
    After all it’s my company that wants me registered , I don’t mind a minimal increase but not something silly , you need to bear in mind I’m a support worker , not a billionaire playboy

82. Linda Murray

Sep 07. 2016

It is worth remembering that those register include workers who are only paid the minimum wage or low pay. If an increase in fee is required as part of that process it would be useful for us all to understand why it is needed and the way the money is spent.

83. Claire malcolm

Sep 07. 2016

I understand about the fees being upped. Although I do feel that the company we are working for should be paying this as we are employed by them.

84. Chelsey

Sep 07. 2016

To Be Honest I Disagree With Having To Pay To Work In The First Place. But As This Is In Place We Don’t Have a much Option. As A Care Worker I Don’t Think It’s Necessary Or Fair To Be Paying A Registration When Infact Most Of Us Only Get Minimum Wage. So To Myself The Increase Would Be A Farce.

85. Sandra

Sep 07. 2016

If you have 2 jobs that you need to be registered with the sssc does this mean you have to pay double ?

86. Mrs Edna M Jaffrey

Sep 07. 2016

As a play worker I think child care strategy should pay the fees I know it’s not a huge amount But I feel it’s up to the employer to pay not me .

87. Janis Kane

Sep 07. 2016

Completely disagree with a fee increase. My company have not given us any wage rise in eight years. Being a member of the SSSC is not optional so I think it’s unfair to force a raised fee.

88. Isobel farmer

Sep 07. 2016

I feel that due to the decrease in my salary by almost a third since being taken over by the nhs that it is disgraceful that it is expected that we have to pay an increase in registration fees.

89. Jacqui Doyle McAteer

Sep 07. 2016

Whilst I am not against a limited increase in my annual fee I believe the fee being suggested is excessive in the current austerity in which we live. As a professional working in the Third sector , such an increase is even more excessive. I believe further work needs to be done on this issue before implementation.

90. Fifi trixiebell

Sep 08. 2016

What extra do we get for the increase?

91. Margaret Whyte

Sep 08. 2016

As a manager of an out of school care setting in the private sector the wages do not even come close to the public sector and an increase from £30 to £80 in my opinion is not a nominal increase..

92. Mike

Sep 08. 2016

Thank you. I do not agree with any increase for anyone except large scale organisations and senior management posts who have superior resources/remuneration. There are substantial issues of pay and conditions for most of those registered with the SSSC and a growing sector of working poor. It might be that the SSSC can rationalise its hitherto growing functions to better reduce costs and disproportionate policing. Thank you.

93. Amanda Wilson

Sep 08. 2016

I only work part time yet I have to pay the same fees as those who work full time, I also have a family to support. I think what I pay at the moment is sufficient.

94. Agnes sangster

Sep 08. 2016

If it’s a small amount I don’t mind ,keep in mind we work in a difficult demanding job for low wages

95. Isabelle Forsyth

Sep 08. 2016

I have no objection to an affordable increase. I enjoy the information and learning opportunities that are proviuded. But there is a diverse group of people register withnthis professional group and wages should be take into account in this consideration.

96. Caroline

Sep 08. 2016

Yes its a good idea to be registered but where is the fee charge rises going to stop? Its a reasonable fee at the moment but i dont want to see a big jump in fees later on. In my opinion most care workers are poorly paid and surely if a rise keeps happening surely our wages should reflect that

97. Morven Aitken

Sep 08. 2016

I don’t think it’s fair that because all support workers and care workers needing to be added to the register, Social Workers need to pay a larger amount of money. This isn’t even doubled its a 160% increase. I seen that nurses were added on the comparison table however what isn’t listed is that nurses get a substantial monthly bursary paid to them when studying. This is something which could extremely benefit a social worker on placement given that some university placements are nearly on par with the amount of placements a nursing student completes. Furthermore I would be asking why there is such a big gap between a support worker and a social workers contribution when management and social workers contribution is the same?

98. Calum Morrison

Sep 08. 2016

The proposed increase is ridiculous, almost 300%! It is not legitimate to say that I is comparable to other professional groups, I regard this as an abuse of monopoly power.

99. Ana

Sep 08. 2016

As a residential Care Officer (grade 6), I think the proposed increase from £30 to £80 it is far too much, particularly when is on the same level as Social workers and managers. I don’t mind an increase but I think the increase should be base on salary.

100. David

Sep 08. 2016

raising the fee from £30 to £80 is not fair on a sector that can be poorly paid, and in a time of below inflation pay rises and cuts in allowances. a reasonable rise is acceptable, this is not

101. Camilla

Sep 08. 2016

I think putting up the fees will discourage anyone entering this type of job. The care sector is already stretched and less face it poorly paid. Yes we all want to provide or receive a quality service but is this the way to do it ? Asking people to pay to be allowed to provide a quality caring service…. feels like a punishment not an encouragement !!

102. Dave Murray

Sep 08. 2016

I do not believe the increase is nominal or proportionate particularly when there has been negligible pay increases over a sustained period. Additionally SSSC is extremely good at “blowing its own trumpet” however, very few of the frontline staff I know (they are many in number) believe that it meets all its proclaimed objectives. I suggest that addressing this lack of confidence would have been a more appropriate issue to consult upon.

103. Christine Morgan

Sep 08. 2016

Given the nominal increase in salary for workers I feel the SSSC should take this into consideration if they are increasing the fees.

104. Linda Pirie

Sep 08. 2016

Having been a care worker for most of my working life, and worked in what is a low paid sector I believe that the registration fees should not be in line with other professional bodies but reflective of our sector. I am not against a “nominal” increase but the proposals reflect an unfair increase against a female dominated, low paid workforce.

105. Carol

Sep 08. 2016

I feel we already pay enough, where does the money that thousands of us pay actually go?

106. Audrey Speedie

Sep 08. 2016

I am a residential worker and the fees are currently 30 per year, the proposed fee would be 80 per year. This is not a modest increase as suggested and I would be interested to know how this huge increase in paying for registration would benefit us, the workers

107. N Riddick

Sep 08. 2016

I agree that the fees have not changed for many years so need to be reviewed but I feel the proposed increase of an additional 50 for social workers is too much. Especially as our salaries have not increased for some people for years also.

108. sandra maxwell

Sep 08. 2016

I think the employer should pay the fee, we work hard for little money.

109. Vivian Fitzsimmons

Sep 08. 2016

I am of the opinion that a hike from £30 to £80 is excessive! Examples you give of other organisations are not equivalent as these are professional bodies who support their members the SSSC is a regulatory body, quite different. Also social service workers have not had an adequate salary increase for years so this whole idea is totally out of sync with the current political situation that we all find ourselves facing such as austerity, job losses, decrease in services for services users.

110. Hazel Lawson

Sep 08. 2016

Public sector has seen nominal increases in our wages over the past few years and people are struggling to maintain a standard of living never mind increasing our outgoings.

111. Andrew Goddard

Sep 08. 2016

Can you please explain why the fees are different for different groups. What extra do I get for my £80? Does it make me a Gold card holder? Do I get a better service? If the SSSC is about fairness and equality then the fee should be the same for all.

112. Marie Docherty

Sep 08. 2016

I feel that £80 for a qualified worker is more than enough. I work job-share, and feel this should be taken into account.
    It is a disgrace that workers should have to pay for this. This should be taken from the tax we pay.

113. Jackie Smith

Sep 08. 2016

Social Worker fee’s going from £30 to £80 is far too much. The most the fee’s should go up should be proportionate to how much of a salary increase we have had over the last year!

114. Lorraine McKillop

Sep 08. 2016

It seems reasonable that fees need to increase after a considerable period of time. However I hope they don’t increase too much as I have been an independent social worker for over 6 years and payments for practice teaching and Kinship/Parenting reports have not increased in all that time.

115. Arthur

Sep 08. 2016

Yes as you have stated its less than other professional who are registered. However, many professionals are payed considerable more than residential staff. I am fully supportive of continuous learning and improvement, although feel we residential child care staff are being persecuted with the new proposal of the NOT called or recognised degree training. This will cost people jobs.

116. John fraser

Sep 08. 2016

I think the increase is quite high as working for the minimum wage in this day and age is ridiculous.

117. Mark Hodgkinson-

Sep 08. 2016

The NHS is currently in discussions about how to manage cuts. Local Authority Services have been decimated by cuts. Pay has not risen in real terms for well over a decade. Yet the SSSC seem immune to reality and intends to inflict ludicrous fees increase on us, the people who do not have a choice but to find the extra money but do actually pay the SSSC management’s wages!
    The SSSC needs to live within its current means & only do the statutory requirements.
    There is serious scope for efficiency savings within the SSSC so lets see these before penalising hard pressed social work and social care staff with this suggested savage increases in fees.

118. Norman tait

Sep 08. 2016

I have no worries about the increase in the money that you have to do to keep people registered with sssc I think that you do a great job keeping people in their job

119. Chrisoula MacDonald

Sep 08. 2016

There is no need to increase the fees.Who will benefit from it? Certainly not us, practitioners who have not received a pay rise in over a decade. This is a joke, especially in this political climate , when people are struggling to make ends meet!

120. Margaret Cunningham

Sep 08. 2016

E.Y.O’s have not had an increase in salary for years and what we do earn is not enough to justify an increase in Fees.

121. Jasmin shaw

Sep 08. 2016

I think it’s awful that we have to pay to work in the first place!! Most care staff are on minimum wage as it is. Some companies don’t pay for training and you have a min of 16 hours complete in a year to keep your registration as well as working 12 hour shifts etc. I totally don’t agree with it money is tight enough as it.

122. John Connon

Sep 08. 2016

I appreciate that the fee should be increased but with interest rates at 0.25% and annual wage increases limited to 1.0% I consider the fee increase to be both extortionate and unwarranted.

123. Name (required)

Sep 08. 2016

I don’t understand why you would state the difference between others!?! There is reason for this but not mentioned and that is the pay and qualifications we have so I would not like any changes made to this as things are difficult enough, the minimum wage has had a good rise with care workers continuing to be responsible for more work although not recognised with their rate of pay.

124. david paton

Sep 08. 2016

I don’t agree with the increase for SSSC registration.

125. lydia

Sep 08. 2016

£80 is far too much, thats more than double the current registration. I think employers should pay half of the fees. £80 is far toooooooo much and unreasonable.

126. Gillian

Sep 08. 2016

As a part time social worker, and single mum, an increase of £50 will have a significant effect on me and will be difficult to pay. A slight increase is understandable however this is far too much

127. Doreen

Sep 08. 2016

I am a relief social care worker in a residential setting.
    I am not guaranteed shifts every week because relief means covering, holiday, sickness ect. The increase is far too high as pointed out already.
    Not sure how I will afford it.
    Doreen

128. Ashley Finlay

Sep 08. 2016

I feel we already pay enough for our SSSC registration and asking for people to pay this amount will only cause them added pressure.

129. Dorothy. McKeon

Sep 08. 2016

I’m flabbergasted! An increase of £50 for managers??!!!!! That is certainly NOT a nominal increase…….it’s almost TRIPLE! Not good at all

130. Chloe

Sep 09. 2016

an increase of fees won’t suit everyone and this should be taken into consideration i.e. Single parents, part time workers etc. Working in care as we all know is a low paid job and not only do we pay our registration (I understand why) but we also have our union fees to pay every month as well as uniforms (at my place of work). Personally i think if something is mandatory then the company you work for should either pay or help pay towards it.

131. ronillo padilla

In my opinion i agree

132. S Robertson

Sep 09. 2016

I don’t agree with the increase for SSSC registration.

But it is required and SSSC knows this so we are in a catch 22.

Employers should pay half .

when will it end, when its £200, £1000 ??????

133. Savio

Sep 09. 2016

The SSSC is really important step for recognising and valuing the role of healthcare assistants. However the SSSC has not been successful in explaining, communicating or providing practical pathways for registered members to follow. As a result of this failure there are record number of referrals resulting in huge workload, legal expenses and paperwork resulting in an increase in fees.
    Given that there is no proposed change in the approach I believe that this will only be the first stage in a series of increases.

What needs to be done is a practical interactive engagement with healthcare assistants to emphasis practical ways of being able to build confidence and understanding complying with the code.

134. Paula

Sep 09. 2016

Think this increase is totally unacceptable does not take into consideration each individual’s personal circumstances. To go from £30 to £80 is an unbelievably high increase. What are the benefits for us as workers?

135. Alex

Sep 09. 2016

Cannot believe this is a serious proposal with regards to an increase in fees. The level of increase is way over the top. Like many of the previous comments made, Social Work and Social Care Staff have been subjected to wage freezes or well below inflation increases over the last decade. Therefore in real terms a significant reduction in take home pay. This increase in the registration fees feels morally and politically out of place. I would like clearer information and a breakdown as how this increase in registration fees is going to be spent as at the present time I see no reasonable justification for the level of increase being proposed.

136. Denise Chalmers

Sep 09. 2016

As a carer with the Vsa I have not had a pay rise for many years and would not want to have to pay any more than we already do ,we are not highly paid for the hard work we do and I’m sure others in other care sectors will agree that just making ends meet at the end ofthe month is hard enough without having to pay to do the work we do ,I completely disagree with any payment increase ,

137. Modupe

Sep 09. 2016

Hi, I don’t agree with the increase please. Some carer are student like me. We are on a budget. Adding more money is taking out of our pocket money.

Thanks

138. Liz D

Sep 10. 2016

If I have to pay more than teachers to remain on our professional register can I have the same holidays?

139. dave

Sep 10. 2016

don’t pay to work

140. Paul

Sep 12. 2016

An increase of almost 167% for managers is a disgrace. A monthly newsletter and a request for more money is not justification for this increase.

141. Julia Clark

Sep 12. 2016

I am worried about any increase in registration fees. As a part time care worker having to work as many extra shifts as I can get just to survive I do not want the burden of any extra cost. I think that it is a good thing to have a register but not at the expense of the low paid carer. Carers have a lot of responsibility in their jobs and their pay in no way reflects this. In recent years pay has hardly increased and extras that we used to get have been taken away. If fees are to increase then I feel that employers should at least pay part of the costs.

142. Amanda mcmanus

Sep 12. 2016

I am a childcare worker who works part time and would not be able to afford to pay for the registration increase i think it should stay as it is also there will be alot of other people that may not be able to afford an increase and this could result in people not being able to continue to work in childcare as they need to pay to be registerd to continue their job

143. Stephanie

Sep 12. 2016

I am 30 yrs old living with my parents. Do 44 hrs a week and live hand to mouth every month. I am trying to save for my own house. Wages are terrible. I say companies and staff member pays half each.

144. carol

Sep 12. 2016

The SSSC and the government want the poor workers to pay for the privilege of having the SSSC kill social work. Abolish the SSSC and save social work and us a fortune.

145. Dougie

Sep 12. 2016

YES ABOLISH THE SSSC

146. Mary jones

Sep 12. 2016

I dont mind paying an increase to be on the registered, it does seem quite a jump but if it has to be paid then we dont really have a choice. I think it should be according to working hours as some people like myself work part time and having to pay same rate as full time workers who are earning more. But if the increase stated gets passed then we have to pay

147. Karen

Sep 12. 2016

I agree that fees need to up from time to time only if it it is not too much increase at one time however most of us will pay increase just to keep our jobs

148. Yvonne Todd

Sep 13. 2016

I work constant night shift as waken night staff , i do not get the same wage as a project worker , so would you explain to me why i’m paying the same as them. Could you not put the fee up to what you earn, i’ve to pay mine in the middle of December so really i can’t afford the £80.

149. Linda keir

Sep 13. 2016

While I agree that an increase is inevitable I do feel that the increase in a managers fee is disproportionate to others. Looking at the increases shown, the managers should only be an additional £20 to be in line with the rest of the workforce.

150. Marion

Sep 13. 2016

Another good reason to get out of the social work profession and consider how to transfer skills elsewhere. People have a hard enough time as it without additional financial pressures.

151. Gillian

Sep 13. 2016

I’m currently registered & working towards my svq3 as required. I feel the increase is not appropriate to the salary I earn (part time) and the commitment I have to give. There has been very little increase to my salary for 3 years with my company and cannot afford to give any more away! Even svq3 will not increase it!

152. Karen

Sep 13. 2016

Quite a jump for managers, as a manager in a small private nursery we don’t always get paid the ‘mega bucks’ that people may think would justify such an increase.
    In addition suggestions for the company to pay for staff registration is again difficult in the private sector.
    We have already increased wages due to the living wage in April this year which has had an impact on the business, and although I strongly agree that staff deserve it…and even more, where do these extra payments come from. Unfortunately for parents it usually means a fee increase.

153. Raj

Sep 13. 2016

In the current economic climate of austerity, where services are already hard pushed to meet their comimitment to the community at large because of government cuts, where social service workers have had their pay frozen, where people’s jobs are at risk (mine included) I personally feel this is a bad time to suggest an increase in registration fees.

If it were the case that an increase in fees could be demonstrated to benefit service users and social service workers at large, I’d be interested to see that on paper. Otherwise, I’m against a raise in fees at the moment.

154. Annette

Sep 13. 2016

I have worked in the care of the elderly for the past 20 years and don’t agree that the fees should be increased. Although we are a registered body we are rarely treated as such by our proffesional colleagues. When it comes to pay increases we are always at the bottom of the pile and seem to be the forgotten resource, our pay increases have not risen with inflamation for a number of years.

155. martin berry

Sep 13. 2016

I think an increase is fine however I think what the proposal is far too much, especially with people working part-time.

156. janice

Sep 14. 2016

paying registration fees is difficult enough on our low wages why not increase the fee and make my life even harder.we are facing pay cuts staff shortage and low moral I already take part in courses non paid I might add I do these at home spenfing hours on it.whos on the workers side?

157. Tracey

Sep 14. 2016

I would be happy to pay the increase if the SSSC cut back on their own expenses over £11000 on one person’s hotel and flights in one year that can’t be right! That’s where your fee is going .Also they have no power over rotten employers they should receive less money

158. Lindsay

Sep 14. 2016

The care profession is underpaid, despite its workers doing some of the most valuable jobs in society. Therefore I don’t agree with a large rise. If it is necessary then employers could pick up the difference in cost, not the already badly paid workers.

159. Tina

Sep 15. 2016

I don’t disagree with a small increase, but these are far far to high. Most care workers are on minimum wage and this would have a big effect on these workers. I am the manager of a childcare service and feel a £50 fee increase for lead practitioners is excessive.

160. jill

Sep 15. 2016

I don’t think increasing fees is a fair proposal. There are high demands on care workers to be well qualified, continually training along with demands of the job roll itself. We are already paid poor wadges in comparison t the expectations laid on us. wadges which which will not increase with the registration fees.

161. Alasdair

Sep 15. 2016

I understand that fees for any regulatory body will probably increase year on year as their operational costs increase – this is all relevant. The concern however is that if you are a service provider and your fees are paid by local authority, then you are not in a position to facilitate this without an uplift on charges which does not happen. care staff should pay for this but mainly those that move around a lot to work for various service providers without a tangible return on the service providers investment in them.

162. Kim

Sep 17. 2016

I have been working in social care for many years and now since SSSC have came on board I have paid over 1000 pounds for svq3 and 12000 pounds for HNC and can I state my wAges have not gone up much I am a support practitioner maybe it’s time you went on to indeed jobs and actually had a look at what we get paid this carry on to pay to keep in a job is shocking would like to know does the staff at SSSC pay to keep them in a job don’t agree with 80 pound fee

163. Gail

Sep 18. 2016

I feel the increase is unfair as a blanket increase across all sectors. It should take into account hours worked and pro rata workers. You cannot expect part-timers to pay the same as full-timers and pro rata staff the same as 52 week staff.