Do you work with young people beyond the age of 16 and into young adulthood?

We’ve had some questions about the registration requirements for workers and services that provide continuing care for young people over the age of 16 and under 26 years following the Children and Young People (Scotland) Act, Part 11 Continuing Care. We’ve considered the issue with the Care Inspectorate and decided not to change anything.

The Continuing Care legislation supports continuing care for young people beyond the age of 16 and into young adulthood and this may mean for some residential childcare services and workers they are not only caring for children and young people but also for young adults.

The agreed approach is that there will be no registration changes to either the services registered by the Care Inspectorate or the individual workers registered with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) in respect of residential services. So care homes for children and young people and school care accommodation services will continue to be registered with the Care Inspectorate as residential childcare services.  Those working in these settings will also continue to be registered on the parts of the SSSC Register for child care and residential school care so there won’t be any changes to their registration.

Both the SSSC and the Care Inspectorate will expect services and staff providing care and support to young people under Continuing Care to have the skills and knowledge and the services to develop policies to reflect the specific needs of the group for which they are providing care and support.

This approach ensures that the appropriate degree of robust regulation is maintained without placing any extra requirement on workers or services, and supports the development of innovative services for young people to get the best support into their adult life.

Comments are closed.