Do you use tablets or smartphones at work? Does your employer or the people you support expect you to know about digital technology and how to use it?
Employers are asking workers to do more using digital technology and while many welcome this, others can feel unskilled and devalued. We often hear workers saying ‘I am a people person, I don’t do technology!’
A recent survey found that 75% of social service workers use tablets or smartphones to record/manage the delivery of care and 50% use them with the people they support. And the speed of change means even people who previously felt confident with technology can feel left behind.
We’re here to help
We have 23 Things to help bring you up to speed and feel confident using digital technology and they’re all free. You can work your way through all 23 Things or choose the subjects you want to know more about.
You can learn how to:
- download an app and use it
- use a note taking app
- find and use podcasts
- understand your digital footprint
- understand what digital learning is
- think creatively and critically about how technology can improve outcomes for people who use services
- understand, use and manage your email, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- find out what the cloud is and what it can do for you
- use Skype, Facetime and Google Hangouts
- use, share and adapt free resources to support learning (Open Educational Resources)
- find the most reliable information and resources online
- understand digital legacy – what happens with the things you put online after you die?
- set up and use your own blog
- manage your digital security – how secure are your passwords? Is your data protected?
You can also gain digital certificates of recognition of your learning and skills. You can gain up to 23 Open Badges for the things you’ve learned and you can share these digital records of achievement to help progress your career too.
The world of digital offers huge opportunities to support your learning and practice, but to take advantage of these, it’s really important you have the confidence and skills. This will also help the people you support to explore and use digital resources safely.
Contact us for a workshop
We can support your organisation or team with short face-to-face workshops to help you use the 23 Things. To discuss a workshop contact George Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the website at 23digital.sssc.uk.com to get started.