Celebrating 100,000 registered workers

Today, 13 September 2017, we reached our 100,000th registrant!

SSSC Chief Executive Anna Fowlie said:

‘I’d like to thank all our registered workers for doing a great job, day in, day out caring for and making life better for others. I’d also like to congratulate you all for gaining the qualifications we’ve set.

‘In just 14 years, since we were created, we’ve registered half of the workforce which is a significant achievement at 100,000 people. We’ve worked together with many people and organisations including our sponsor body, the Scottish Government, partnership organisations, representative bodies, employers and of course social service workers themselves to reach this point and I feel a great sense of pride and achievement for all involved.

‘One in every 13 people employed in Scotland work in social services and the value to us in terms of creating the society we want to live in cannot be underestimated.

‘Through gaining qualifications relevant to their role and working to the SSSC Code of Practice, registration gives the public confidence in the workforce and they can trust that the people who care for our loved ones have the right skills and knowledge.’

What does this mean?

This means that 100,000 people working in Scotland’s social services are:

  • working to set standards – the SSSC Code of Practice
  • qualified or working towards a qualification that’s relevant to the role they’re carrying out
  • up to date with skills and knowledge for their role
  • trusted and accountable.

What difference does a qualification make?

Qualifications make a huge difference.

All workers have a level of skills and knowledge relevant for their role to allow them to carry out their jobs to the right standard.

We make sure that the qualifications match the role. So, for example a support worker in a nursery needs a National Certificate in Early Education and Childcare at SCQF Level 6 while a supervisor or a manager would need to gain a higher level practice qualification and a supervisory or management qualification.

Currently 58% of registered workers hold a qualification relevant to their job. The other 42% are working towards their qualification/s.

Continuous learning and development

As well as qualifications, workers also need to evidence continuous professional learning and we support this with a range of free learning resources and support. Many of our resources are available for tablet or smartphones allowing workers to learn where and when suits them best.

All social service workers (not just registered workers) can use the qualifications framework to progress and even change direction in their careers. We recently launched our career pathways website to show new and existing workers how they can do this.

Visit the SSSC Learning Zone to find our learning resources.

Visit the career pathways website to see where your career could take you.

What’s next?

We have two more groups of workers to register. The Register for care at home and housing support workers is opening on 2 October. With around 50,000 workers they’re the biggest group ever to register with us.

Comments are closed.